Monday, January 16, 2006

Lunchtime...

I just had a cup of soup for my lunch. Well, a cup of water and powder. Why is it that no matter how much you stir those things, there's always a huge lump of slime at the bottom? One day I shall invent the perfect instant soup.

This morning has flown by. I started off in the class that I'm usually in when I go into mainstream. We did literacy, and continued where we left off the other day; writing descriptive settings. The class teacher is excellent with me, and put me with a more able group today, so that I could see a bit more of the range within the class. I'm learning so much, and I feel very privileged to be able to train in this way, picking up things from the practitioners. It will be interesting, I think, to see how Butch gets on when he starts his course in September, as he will be taking the more traditional PGCE route, the majority of which is spent in college as opposed to school.

We had an assembly this morning, which was fantastic, as it gave me a chance to see how the school funcions as a community. Being in the partnership room with the kids with ASC, I don't get much of a chance to experience this aspect of school life, so it was a lot of fun. Even more so because it was a singing assembly. A lovely lady came in for the first of a series of monthly sessions, to try to get the school singing. We did a couple of school hymns, including Praise Him, a classic from my own primary school days. Superb stuff.

I did, as I hoped I would, avoid having to do any exercise this morning, by getting out of PE. I went to the class next door instead, and did a literacy lesson with them too. It's quite advantageous for me to do so much of this subject at the moment, as that's what we're concentrating on for the first 4 weeks of college. Hopefully I'll be able to put some theory into practice in the classroom, and take some of my practical experiences to college with me. I'll let you know if my expectations are fulfilled over the next few weeks...

1 comment:

beth said...

A 'singing assembly'? Gosh, those are only the BEST kind! Glad you had a good time.
*YOU GET TO TEAHC ON MONDAY! AH!*
oh yeah, and that whole soup-thing seems impossible unless you use toxic chemicals to break down the chunks, but they might give you a rash so that's no fun...keep stirring my dear,

your biggest fan