Friday, January 06, 2006

If it ain't broke...

Then it probably doesn't belong to me. It's been a funny few days since I got back from Canada. The culture change always gets me more when I come back here. I don't know if it's because I feel more at home in Canada, but I always find it harder to start driving on the left again than I do to start driving on the right. I find it harder to say 'toilet' than 'washroom'. I suspect that I find it harder to go back to work than I do to turn up and bum around with no job to do for a couple of weeks. But the way of life is easier there, I think, and my fiancee's there too, so I guess I'd rather be there.

My computer is having issues, so that's something I have to fix. I don't know quite what's wrong with it, but the hard drive is a bit tired, so I think that I'm going to format it this weekend, and start afresh. That should speed things up a bit. My cell phone broke, so I took that in to be fixed. It's going to take two weeks before it returns to me, and I forgot to copy all my numbers out of it first, so I have an old cell phone, with no way of contacting most of the people that I want to contact. When I was taking my phone into Leeds to the shop to have it fixed, I parked my car outside an apartment complex at the top of town that I used to live at. I happen to know that, although there is a huge steel gate at the entrance, during the university holidays, they leave it open all the time. True to experience, when I arrived, the gate was open, so I drove in, and Butch and I walked into town. On the way back, I bumped into our next door neighbour, Tim, and petitioned him to come back with us, rather than on the bus. I thought it might save him time. When we got back to the car, the gate was locked, and nobody there knew how to unlock it. We had to walk home. I did manage to get it the following evening though.

The computer in our living room has sadly passed away, and my playstation is deteriorating rapidly. It currently displays a bit of an unwillingness to play dvds all the way through, which is a bit annoying. My cordless phone has given up the ghost. It seems that I've come back to everything getting a bit broken. Fortunately, this doesn't include my life. I'm healthy, I have a good future to look forward to in Canada. Plans are taking shape, and the preparations for my teaching course are also in full swing. I can't wait to get back to church. My band is going to record this month, and everything seems pretty good. So, who cares if a few of my material possessions are a bit rubbish? Not me...

No comments: