Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Personality Test

So, a few days ago, Rachel published a post, announcing that she had recently put her computer media library on random, as she had heard that the first ten songs it plays should reveal something of your personality. Her conclusion was simply that she has very eclectic music tastes. I decided to do the same. Here are the results:

1. Some Random German Punk Band - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
2. Bromacinfro - Random Track
3. Radiohead - Planet Telex
4. Ben Folds Five - Jackson Cannery
5. The Presidents of the United States of America - Peaches
6. The Darkness - Get Your Hands Off My Woman
7. Reeve Hunter - I Must Obey
8. Supergrass - Lose It
9. Foo Fighters - My Poor Brain
10. Modest Mouse - Third Planet

So, what can be made of my personality from this seemingly inadequate list? Well, my first thought was that it wasn't as eclectic as I had originally expected it to be. I think the best way to analyse it, is to go through song by song:

1. Yes, the song sucks, but it's a punk cover. From this, I determine that I sometimes don't care about the quality of the music or lyrics, so long as it's done badly, and very very fast.

2. A jazz/swing band from Toronto, who you almost certainly haven't heard of, even if you're from Toronto. The fact that I don't know the name of the track kind of speaks for itself - sometimes, even if I like what I hear, I won't have the motivation to find out more about it.

3. I'm still listening to the same music I liked when I was 16.

4. I don't care if you don't like them, they're the best band ever, and I will defend this opinion to the death. Again, I was listening to them when I was 16, and I haven't moved on. Does this mean that I am immature?

5. This song is silly. The singer is allergic to aforementioned fruit. Sometimes I don't care, so long as it's silly.

6. More silliness. Perhaps I am a silly person. Yes, yes I am.

7. This is a superb track by a guy who splits his production time between amazing, introverted, deep, acoustic tracks like this one, and Nintendo beats hip hop. Although he's far better than I ever could be, I guess he's the closest I've found to my songwriting style(s). You probably haven't heard of him, unless you're from Waco, Texas.

8. See #3

9. The song title says more than I ever could. This post is hurting my head.

10. I have no idea who these guys are. Jacob put the track on my computer for me, and I'd forgotten it was there. It's quite good though. I guess that means that there are parts of my personality that I am vaguely aware of the existence of, but I tend to leave them be. Or perhaps this whole thing, as Rachel concluded, is a load of rubbish...

No comments: