Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Tat Shop

I love tattoos. I don't have as many as I want, but I guess it's a process. Quite an expensive process too. For the last two or three years, I have thought about how I might go about training to tattoo myself. Not tattoo myself (although that is a part of the training), but to learn the art of tattooing. Back in November, I was offered an internship at Urban Ink in Toronto. I was very excited about the prospect, but the more I thought about it, the more I realised that it was unrealistic. I would have to give two full days a week to being at the shop, and it would still take me over a year to get anywhere close to tattooing people. With a baby on the way, that just wasn't going to happen.

Then Holy Spirit suggested something to me. What if I trained myself? I have spent a good deal of time now researching what I would have to do, and feel ready to start learning. I purchased a machine, pigment, power supply and footswitch, needles and tubes. I started by tattooing fruit, and then moved on to pigskin (quite close to human skin). I'm having a great time!

The next step was to experiment with different needle sizes and combinations. for this, I needed more supplies. Most of the websites that I found were very average - horribly designed, hard to navigate and usually based in the States. Then I found the Tat Shop. They're based in Mississauga, the site is excellent, and the couple that run it are awesome. I realise that most people reading this won't have a need to get tattoo supplies, but you can check the site out anyway. And if you do need anything, that's the place to go. Check them out here.

We're off to Wonderland in a little while, so I have to go get ready. I'll post pictures when I've practised more. Those who want a tattoo, give me a while to practice, then form a line...

No comments: