Thursday, May 15, 2008

Old Time Fun

I know I skipped a week of the announcements, but to be honest, there wasn't much to miss. Here's the announcements for the upcoming week. I learned an awful lot about some of the stuff I can do on Final Cut while I was doing these ones. Because I don't have easy access to cash for effects and stuff to add onto the program, I had to find ways of giving this a real old feel without paying for it. I Googled to my heart's content, and found loads of tutorials online. As well as giving me the finish that I wanted on this (adding the scratches, hairs and jitters), the tutorials showed me how to use similar techniques to get very different results that I'll be able to use in the future.

In other news, it's the long weekend this weekend. I got a bit confused about the date of it originally, because the Victoria Day weekend (as this is) is often known as the May Two Four, because of the date that it falls on. Except that it actually falls closer to the 18th. So this coming Monday is a day off. Nice to be caught off guard like that, and realise that you have a day off when you thought you didn't. I don't really plan to do an awful lot with it, except chill out with my wife and daughter. Hopefully the predicted rain of the weekend will be over by Monday.

Lots of weddings and stuff coming up this summer, so that's exciting too. I have a bachelor party on Saturday, and more to come after that. Lots of parties. Not all good ones though. Last night, we went to Jacob and Carolyn's place for a barbecue. It wasn't that the party itself sucked, but the reason for it. Our amazing friends are moving down to Raleigh, North Carolina. This is something that I've prepared myself for for some time. Ever since I met Jacob, our friendship is something that has been conducted over a distance. When I moved to Toronto, I realised that it was an amazing privilege to be able to live in the same city as my best friend, but that it was a privilege that probably wouldn't last long. I think that we both knew that Toronto was a temporary base for us, and that one of us would leave before too long.
It's been a fantastic year or so, and I'm so glad that we had this time. I know that our friendship lasted with the Atlantic between us, so I'm sure it can handle a move to the States. Hey, we might even visit them...

And with that, I'm off. I have to go plan my long weekend.

No comments: