Monday, February 06, 2006

Oh yeah! Cheeeeeeeese....

Ah, it's Monday again. Another weekend over, another four days of school. This weekend was an interesting one. I was so busy on Saturday, but it was all fun. Let me fill you in:

I got up and did some lesson planning, before heading to Tim's at eleven to pop to Headingly. We were intending to see if Oxfam still had any second hand putters in to complement our set of golf clubs, but they didn't so we ended up purchasing a board game each. Good old Headingly. Full of charity shops and thrift stores. I picked up the classic Othello for a mere £1, while Tim got himself a mint condition Cribbage set, with oak board, for only £1.50. Bargain.
We met up with Butch's girlfriend, Katherine, and took the car to Morley, where we watched a good deal of Ultimate Frisbee at the indoor tournament there. Butch and Andy were playing for Curious Bacon original six, and Rob was supposed to be on the Jedi Legends team. But he defected, and played for the team that won the competition (whose name escapes me at present). Even though we didn't get to see all my housemates face each other in the end, it was a good afternoon, and we saw some excellent Frisbee. Something that my friends at college would probably laugh at me for.
The other thing that would tickle them is the way that I spent my evening. After a bit of grocery shopping, Tim and I headed back to mine, where we made fresh pasta. We rolled it out into sheets using my pasta machine, then made ravioli with different kinds of cheese. We used Stilton, Windsor Red, Lancashire, Gouda, Bleu d'Auvergne and black peppercorn cheddar. Then we put it all in a box, and sealed the lid. Off we headed to Toby's house.

So then, the first meeting of Ches Moi, our cheese society. Since its inception last Sunday, the membership has risen to a staggering 25, each with their own special Ches Moi name (I'm Ches Ventura, no prizes for guessing why). Butch is The Grate One, as he will always be the leader. There's also a monthly election for The Grate One's right hand man, known as The Grand Fromage. He chairs the meetings. Well, it was ridiculous. We watched a Powerpoint presentation that Toby (this month's Grand Fromage) had made for us, focussing on the aims of Ches Moi, and the cheeses that we would be concentrating on for that meeting. We rose for the society's anthem (Chan Chan), we all greeted each other with our special handshake. We descended into nothing short of complete silliness. Then I cooked the pasta, and we served the cheese and crackers. There were 12 of us present (Ches Andham, our secretary took attendence then the minutes of the meeting), and ten different cheeses: Bleu d'Auvergne, Stilton, Welsh waxed Cheddar, Blacksticks Blue, Danish Blue, Peppercorn Cheddar, honey and herb Cheddar, a very strong Cheddar, Windsor Red, and Dolcelatte. We ate the lot. It was incredible. I have to say, I didn't feel so well after all that, but it tasted SO GOOD...

Sunday? That's another story. Church was great, and I did a bunch of stuff in the afternoon too. But it was a different kind of day, and I'm not going to give you a run-down of it just yet. Perhaps later. As for now, the bell just rang to signal the end of lunchtime, so I'm back to class. I taught games this morning, and it was pretty hectic. I was on my own for it, and that was an experience in itself. The class was loud, and a bit unruly, but I got there, I think, and I've established some sort of order for when I'm in charge. I think there's probably more to write on that subject, and who knows what will happen this afternoon? I might well continue this later. Until then, my name isn't Cheese anymore. It's Gordon Pritchard...

1 comment:

Andrew G said...

I WANT THERE TO BE A FREAKIN CHEESE SOCIETY HERE IN TORONTO... EXCEPT ALMOST EVERYONE HERE THINKS THAT KRAFT FREAKING CHEESE SLICES ARE REAL CHEESE. I WANT TO PUKE