Friday, February 03, 2006

I never signed up for this...

On Thursday, I learned the very sad news that one of the pupils from the school I worked at last year, died this week. To be honest, he was very unwell, and it isn't a huge surprise, but that doesn't make it any easier. For those of you that don't know, I worked in a school for children with Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties (PMLD). My mom also works with children like this (although she takes more of a managerial role these days), but my dad pointed out that there was a period of two weeks where she had to attend four funerals. It seems that it doesn't get any easier over time, and it's never easy to accept. But it kind of comes with the territory, I guess.

Otherwise, school was good this week. Wednesday was superb. More observing in class, but we have music lessons on Wednesday mornings, and it all got very silly. The teacher and I get on very well, and everything descended into complete stupidity. The kids really enjoyed it too... After school, we went to a short tennis competition that the kids were in. They really appreciated my appearance, I think, and we got some good hang out time. It's not that often that you can chat to the kids out of school, and it made them more relaxed with me.

College was really good yesterday too. I was so fed up with this lecturer that we have had for the past three weeks, that I just decided to go to the other group when I got there. I knew that the guy that taught them was really good, and completely different from the lady that we had. Imagine my surprise when I arrived and found that the lady was off, and we were all together with the other guy anyway! Very pleasing. We had a fantastic day, and it was all rounded off with some great work to do with drama in a primary school classroom. We experimented with different techniques, and it all got pretty hilarious. It just made me realise how much better the last three weeks could have been, and how much more I could have gotten out of it...

Right, there's sleeping to be done. I know it's not a school night, and that's why I'm still out of bed at 1:30. But there's a Frisbee tournament in Leeds tomorrow, and all my housemates are playing. I'm going there with our next door neighbour, and Butch's girlfriend. We're not heading there till about three, but we have a bunch of stuff to do first, and it requires being up and about reasonably early. And after all that, there's the first official meeting of our cheese society; Ches Moi. But that's another story. I have a bunch more stuff to write about - it's been a pretty intense week, and the things to post about are racking up - but I'm going to have to draw the line, and come back to this later. Till then...

1 comment:

beth said...

ah! cheese society! i'm joining fo sure if i pass the interview. oh, that means i have to wear a skirt too...ok. done. I can't wait to eat cheese with you in just over one week!!!!!! ahhhh!
b :)