Saturday, July 17, 2010

My American Dream

" I want out of this machine, it doesn't feel like freedom.
This ain't my American dream, I want to live and die for bigger things.
I'm tired of fighting for just me,
This ain't my American dream."
-Switchfoot, American Dream

Is it mid-July already? Yikes! This incredibly warm summer is flying by already.
I just wanted to check-in as I won't be blogging much until the end of August. That's right.
I will be busy living one of MY "American Dreams"- hanging out with 6-13 year-olds in St.Jamestown. I know. Loooong story.

It's summer camp. You know, swimming, community art projects like murals, spray-painting, soccer, volleyball, a lot of laughing, storytelling, the boys-chasing-girls, and quality time.
Can you imagine a FREE camp? Imagine that HERE:

'St. James Town is the largest high-rise community in Canada. It consists of 19 high-rise buildings (14 to 32 stories). These massive residential towers were built in the 1960s. Approximately 17,000 people live in the neighbourhood's 19 apartment towers, making it Canada's most densely populated community,[1] and one of the most densely populated neighbourhoods anywhere in NORTH AMERICA.
St. James Town is one of Toronto's poorest neighbourhoods.

I am so honoured to be directing this project under the banner of non-profit organization,
City Hope. And all of this under an even bigger banner, of course. Under LOVE.
Lots and lots of love for lots and lots of kids.

Ooooooh St.Jamestown, I know you so well and yet you remain a mystery.
You won my heart long, long ago... this will be your best summer yet.
Serving your children is a dream come true!

No comments: