Friday, July 02, 2010

Fresh air, fresh ideas...

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
~Elizabeth Barrett Browning



When creative time presents itself every now and then, I like to have a plan.
I have decided to experiment with Canadian-inspired concepts for projects like paintings over the summer and will be sure to upload pictures in this space and my website.

Nature refreshed us in Algonquin Park. It was a little bit of heaven.
A couple days later I produced this painting for Mark - 2ftx2ft, multimedia.
I took the feathers-in-paint idea from an Aboriginal artist who has a piece featured in the ROM (forgive me as I must find his name again). The geese feathers were discovered by Adelaide and I on the beach of Lake Of Two Rivers, and we collected the birch bark on a family hike.
The subtle inscription reads,

"when they look back they will see that we covered each other”
.

Feathers represent protection to me. The idea I had for this piece is that when the generations after us look back upon the way we lived they will recognize that we covered each other, protected each other, and honoured each other - that although we were imperfect, we did strive to live this way. They'll look back and learn something from our love.

So for the time being we have a little piece of Algonquin on our wall... :D

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm really liking your fresh ideas! Could I have some Algonquin on my wall too. Please tell me I don't have to go camping to get it.

Beautiful!

beth said...

Hahaha, ok ok. Fine. You name the size and colour scheme and it is a deal. It is so hard to make something for you as I will constantly think, "it is never good enough for my mom"! xo