Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Fall Cleaning...


I don't know about you, but I find that the arrival of Fall is very much like the arrival of Spring.
I know that there is much more of an element of new life with Spring; the feeling of emergence from death, a primeval elation from having survived the Winter. But for me, Fall also signifies a milestone.
I've always loved the Autumn, for lots of reasons. Bonfire night was always a favourite with me, and my birthday falls at the end of November. Of course, it also signals the approach of Christmas and winter with all the fun of snow and ice. I know not everyone gets as excited as me and Beth over Winter weather, but hey.

I also find that when Autumn comes, I have a huge desire to get things done. To decorate, renovate, clean things out and generally become more productive. Perhaps it's a part of me left over from my school days, when September indicated a return to an attitude of work. I think for me, more than anything though, it's a feeling of having made it through the Summer. Let's face it - after weeks of mid 30s temperatures, with the humidity taking it up to the mid 40s, nobody in their right mind would be arguing with this cooler weather. So, it's decided. Autumn: it's the new Spring.

Right, I'm off to clean out the basement, paint the house, build a shed and work on the garden. And that's just before I go to work in half an hour. Enjoy the season!

2 comments:

beth said...

Totally. I love the picture of the trees and can't wait to see that in High Park very soon indeed.

Addie thinks that it will snow, though. And I keep telling her it will be a little while yet...

You are always productive, Mark. We are both 'doers' much of the time. I am so glad you embrace each season with open arms... XO

Unknown said...

Yes Beth you are both "doers" much of the time. Mark is in the middle of doing a great job installing, our living room floor. (I really think Mark can do anything!)
I'm glad you're feelin so energetic in this cool weather. If you run out of "decorating, renovating ideas and things to clean come on over to 38 Maniza and we can take care of all that extra energy!!